Monday 20 December 2010

Gardening

To enjoy gardening is one of those simple pleasures and to make a living of it involves an appreciation of mud and plants and a knowledge of the techie bits. Do you know that pruning can only take place within certain times to allow the fruiting and or flower buds time to develop. Did you know that roots in the soil need air and that if they are always in water (most plants) the roots has no air and dies.

Out in the Garden I feel like a GP must feel facing an surgery of patients. My questioning is based on looking at leaves, the base of plants and looking at the soil quality. It even extends to digging up a plant which seems to be ailing.  My heart sinks when I see the start of a rotting plant. This can be caused by a huge array of bacteria or virus and one of the indicators of trouble are those little woodlice as they feed on rotting foliage. 

What about chewed leaves or bits cut out. My work is to try and work out which type of leave hole has been formed by a range of beetle, bee, or slug and snail. 

Now I know that clients just want good looking plants so my work is to investigate the trouble and try and sort it out.

Happy Gardening Liz and the Landgirls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a coment as feedback is always a welcome chance to network.